Sharing great takeaways after you attend a conference lets others get some of those valuable nuggets. That’s what I’m going to do for you right now. These are my key takeaways after day one of the 2017 Global Leadership Summit.
1. Personal Betterment Plan
Create a betterment plan for the year to improve your own leadership. Decide if that’s a leadership journal, reading a leadership book once a month, listening to podcasts, etc. (Bill Hybels)
2. Hire Big
Hire the people who can get you there – those who are more qualified, more experienced, or over-achievers right out of school who can grow with your business. (Sheryl Sandberg)
3. Truthful Feedback
Get real, truthful feedback from people on your team so you can get better as a leader. Make it easy for people to give you that feedback. (Sheryl Sandberg)
4. Uniquely Better
Replace “How?” with “Wow!” and make sure you say it in that whisper, impressed way … you know, “Wow!” Ideas die with the how word. Nothing is gained if you don’t know what your people are dreaming about. (Andy Stanley)
5. Give and Take
Your Bonus – Some Favorite Quotes
- “When you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, get on, don’t ask what seat.” –Eric Schmidt’s words to Sheryl Sandberg on moving to Google
- “WOW ideas to life, don’t HOW them to death.” –Andy Stanley
- “Small business owners risk everything – not for nothing, but not for much.” –Marcus Lemonis
- “It’s not just the good you do but the good you decide not to do.” –Sheryl Sandberg
- “Trust God’s storywriting capabilities and follow where He leads.” –Andy Stanley
Some great words from Andy Stanley that I’ve summarized here if you’d like to apply them too … God has a better story for me than I can script for myself. Pay attention to the chapters He ends and the new chapters He is starting.
And there you have it folks. Was there a lot more? Definitely! But I hope you can use one or more of these great takeaways. Stay tuned for Annie sharing insights from day two!